I have read a great number of articles on baking soda and all its benefits. The list is long and it seems that this simple ingredient found in every kitchen cabinet should be made a part of every normal person’s life. Here is a gather up of some of the most important uses for baking soda.
Some of these benefits are:
- a reduced risk and prevention of diarrhea, metabolic acidosis, acidity, peptic ulcer, and drug intoxication,
- improved skin and hair quality due to its antipruritic (anti-itching) properties,
- effective treatment of cold and flu,
- plaque removal,
- prevention of hyperkalemia, bladder infection and kidney stones.
Aside from these, baking soda has many other uses that are less known. Read on and find out how you can reap most of its benefits.
1# Folk Remedy
- To relieve muscle pain after a strenuous workout, drink a mixture of water and baking soda.
- Remove grime and fungus from your nails by scrubbing them with an old toothbrush with some baking soda on it.
- In a basin mix 3 tablespoons baking soda, 1 tablespoon peppermint essential oil, 1 tablespoon salt and warm water. Soak your hands and feet for 20 minutes. This method will ease itching, soreness and odor.
- To freshen up your breath, mix some baking soda with water and gargle.
- To whiten your teeth, put some baking soda on your toothbrush and brush your teeth. This is the most effective home remedy for tooth-whitening.
- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda and a teaspoon water to make a gentle face exfoliator. This treatment will effectively remove excess facial oil and dead skin cells from your face.
- Apply some baking soda on bee stings, insect bites, itching from poison ivy, oak, etc. to relieve the pain and itching.
- Speed up the healing of canker sores and herpes by applying a mixture of baking soda and water directly on the affected place.
If you are frequently suffering from acid reflux, this is the right remedy for you. Mix ½ tsp. baking soda with 2 tbs. of fresh lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar. Make sure you use a bigger cup for this mixture as it will fizzle. When the fizzling stops, add 8oz water. It’s important to drink this remedy all at once to neutralize the pH imbalance, reduce acid reflux and create an alkaline environment in your body.
Plus, you can use baking soda to reduce symptoms of heartburn and GERD. Simply mix ½ tsp. baking soda and 16 oz. water and drink.
3# Other Baking Soda Home Remedies
The link between baking soda and cancer treatment, put forward by Dr. Simoncini, was further explained by Dr. Mark Sircus in his book, Sodium Bicarbonate. According to Dr. Mark, reccurent fungal infections, diabetes and even cancer can be prevented with the use of a mixture of baking soda and molasses.
- To remove oral thrush gargle with a mixture of baking soda and water.
- To treat UTI, drink a mixture of 8 oz. water and ½ tsp. baking soda twice a day.
- To relieve the symptoms of thrombosis mix baking soda and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
- To eliminate Candida yeast and stop itching douche with a mixture of 1 tbs. baking soda mixed with warm water.
- Apart from its amazing uses, baking soda remedies are not recommended for pregnant or nursing women or children under 5.
- Also, be cautious when using baking soda treatments as they can interfere with the effect of your prescription medications. Always consult your physician before starting any baking soda treatments.
- It’s also important to know that baking soda should always be used dissolved and never in its powder form.
- Last, but not least, baking soda home remedies are never recommended if you are on a low sodium diet since it can drain essential vitamins and minerals from your body. And never use baking soda remedies longer than 14 days in a row without having consulted your GP.